Shih Tzu Grooming: A Step by Step Guide on Shih Tzu Dog Grooming
Shih Tzu Grooming
You may want to keep your Shih Tzu in a long trim like you see in dog shows or in a short trim which will actually be less work for you and your dog.
For anyone who can help. BFF4Pets is a small rescue group of just a few people who last year saved 95 dogs. If you can help them with donations, foster homes or a forever home please go to bff4pets.com.
In grooming your Shih Tzu you may want to put him or her in a Teddy Bear Trim with a Teddy Bear head. Another option would be a summer cut which is certainly a good option. On either of these dog haircuts you can put a nice round teddy bear head with it for a cute look.
Dog Grooming Equipment needed
- Slicker Brush
- Greyhound Comb
- Nail trimmers
- Ear cleaning equipment
- Dog grooming clippers
- Dog grooming blades ( at minimum a # 10 and a # 30 clipper blade. If you are trying to achieve a summer trim then you will want to pick out the size blade you need to give you the desired length. )
- Clipper blade combs ( Size according to what length you want. This will be for a teddy bear or a puppy trim. )
- Dog grooming scissors ( straight, curved, and thinning )
- Depending on whether you decide on a summer cut or a teddy bear trim or a completely differentdog haircut for your Shih Tzu dog grooming your choice will influence the dog grooming equipment you will want to use.
- No matter what length you want to keep your Shih Tzu at you will first want to do your prep work, bathing and drying. Start with:
- Trimming your dog’s nails
- With a #30 clipper blade clean the hair from the bottom of your dogs feet and between the large pads
- Next with your # 10 clipper blade do your sanitary trim removing hairfrom the private areas.
- Take your slicker brush and brush your dog out well. Removing all tangles and mats that may be there. Use your greyhound comb to check and make sure you have done a good job. Your comb should comb thru the coat from the skin out with no problems. If it doesn’t then go back to your brushing and brush until your comb glides thru the coat.
- Bath and blow dry your dog.
- Brush your dog out and comb check.
Grooming the Long Coated Shih Tzu
- For a long coated look on your Shih Tzu you will need most of the dog grooming equipment listed above. Then follow all the above procedure making sure to pay particular attention to your brushing and combing. Plus to keep the coat up you will want to brush your Shih Tzu on a daily basis to keep the snarls and tangles from becoming mats. A long coat means constant care.
- Once you have finished with your prep work and your dog is bathed and dried. There won’t be much left for you do. Your Shih Tzu grooming is almost done.
- You will want to trim the hair around the feet giving them a round appearance.
- For your topknot your will want to part the hair from the outside corner of the eyes back over the top of the ears. Comb the hair up and tie it off with either a rubber band or a ribbon. Be absolutely sure that all you don’t have any skin in the rubber band or the ribbon when you tie off your dog’s topknot.
We hope we made your Shih Tzu grooming experience easier for you and your dog.
Leave our shih tzu grooming page and return to our breed haircuts page.